Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 10nt

Sunday April 10th 2011
Monument Valley, Utah.

Well me just start today off by saying that last night was an awesome time with my hosts, I ended up being employed as a door man at the local bar collection cover for the show!  It was an absolute blast and they were quite the talented musicians.  As far as hosts go I have lucked out huge.

After a very late start and lots of bacon, today was awesome day of adventure.  Lots of sites to see, and lots of breathtaking views.  I started out in Zion (be careful to pronounce it like lion, not ion)  it is an amazing national park just outside of Hurricane, Utah ( be careful to pronounce it like Hurri-can).  The big wonder of the park is this valley that is just amazing, it has so much beauty words cant explain, great day to be hiking to.  After a little Mormon girl walked by me and said "Dad that man has girls hair" I figured it was time for me to head out!

Horseshoe Bend, wow!! I can't believe that I have been to the Grand Canyon before and managed to bypass this site.  It is where the river takes a big ben (guess what??  its shaped like a horseshoe!) and it is just at the north east end of the Canyon.   There are no guard rails, no steps, no safety at all.  Just about 1500 feet to the river below.  As I lay sprawled out across this one point of rock, I started to think of what if the wind picked up? What if there were an earthquake?  What if that guy over there is having a terrible day and just comes up and pulls a "This is SPARTA!!!!" and kicks me to the river below.  I left after that.

The day started to wind down after a quick Walmart stop, and a 2 hour drive to my resting place for tonight.  I am just about 2 miles away from Monument Valley Tribal Park.   Driving in was the kind of drive I just wish everybody could do.  You do one final turn and BANG there are these buttes that tower over head with nothing around them.  It was too dark to really capture with any success so tomorrow is a sunrise photo-op.  

Thats it for today, battery is dead and so am I. Photos will come tomorrow.

Song of the day--- January Wedding - The Avett Brothers. 

1 comment: