Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 6

I'm no good at self portraits
Wednesday April 6th 2011
Napa, California

Today the theme was big.  Big trees, big statues, big drives and big appetite.

Jon and I met Paul Bunyan and Babe the blue ox.  That was in the middle of one of the most amazing things I have ever.  Redwood National Park, a completely free national park.  Following these roads that twist and turn amongst giants, and when I say giants I mean trees that are 1200 years old, 300+ feet tall.  I could drive Lola inside most of them.  Nobody around for miles, just Jon and I walking through the old growth forest.

After leaving Redwood at about 1, we headed south and for the first 2 hours it was a gorgeous drive, following the coast, darting in and out of more old growth forest.  Then it got a little dull, today for the first time yet I was sitting there bored of my music, kind of uncomfortable and ready to be where I was going, and tired of eating out of a cooler of boring food.

AND THEN!!! (AHH suspense AHHH)  I got of the 199 Redwood Highway, and headed towards Napa.  Instant change, rolling hills stretch from horizon to horizon covered in vines.  Cows grazing in the fields that separate the vineyards.  Amazing winery buildings designed to showcase the wine, mansions with views that only get better as you get closer.

Napa is gorgeous, the town itself is very much a tourist town.  Everything is spotless, the streets are wide and the sidewalks wider (now you are picturing this town that just seems poorly designed, aren't you?)  I was told that I should go to Bistro Sabor, a little place with good food.  BAM! SHUT MY MOUTH SLAP YOUR GRANDMA!!!  One of my top 10 restaurants, latin street food style paired with local Napa wines.  And to top it off... they had hockey on the TV!!

Today, I felt like a king.  I wish you could join me, who ever you are.   The road just isn't the same alone!

Music of the day???  Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd.

Massive redwoods

Jon at the beach

The California Coast

I tried photographing this tree, but it just couldn't do justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment