Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 13

Jon and Braden do Pikes Peak.
Wednesday April 13th 2011
Pueblo, Colorado

Today I got high, very very high.  14,110 feet above sea level!  I was at Pikes Peak just outside of Colorado Springs, Colorado.  For those of you who aren't part of the in crowd (Until today, I wasn't) Pikes Peak Highway is a 19 mile highway with some paved and some unpaved, you gain 7,400feet of vertical in that time. It is the furthest east of the states 51 peaks over 14,000 feet.   At the base today the man at the kiosk said that it was only open until the 18th mile.   A little bummed out that I wouldn't get to summit, I pushed on and got to mile 18 in what seemed like no time.  Stopped in front of me were two GM test cars covered in sensors and antena, I started talking and found out that Pikes Peak is where most of the American car companies test the braking ability of their new cars there.  15 minutes later the peak was open and I completed my drive.  Amazing.  The air was cold, and dry and at 14,000ft it was much thinner.   Great drive down, Jon had fun.

After a quick drive south I found myself at the gates to Great Sand Dune National Park, middle of nowhere Colorado.  I bet you are thinking "what happens at Great Sand Dunes?"  well ready for a mind trip?  There are giant sand dunes!! 55 sq miles of dunes, the tallest one being 700 feet tall.  Well you know what I had to do, I had to climb that.   Sand is not easy to walk on, picture the worst beach you have ever walked on, then make it 700 feet tall, then make the wind blow so hard that particles of sand sting any exposed skin.   At the top I was really impressed with the fact I survived, I then reached into my pocket to check the time, realizing I didn't bring a watch/ phone was actually good because as I reached into that pocket I felt nothing but sand.   After being sand blasted for an hour I was just covered in sand, you couldn't open your eyes at the summit, breathing through your mouth was out of the question.

Well now I am in Pueblo, and I worry that all of the amazing things that I wanted to do on my trip have been done.  As far as amazing scenery goes in the States, I hope to find some more people to surf with because  the last to nights in hotels have been boring.  So if you read this and know of anybody in Kansas City or Nashville who wants to host me, well let me know!

Cheers
Song of the day - Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.

I was on the lookout, but no dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment