Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 17 the underground version

Ranger Steve,  awesome.

Sunday April 17th 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Today was a beautiful day, the type of day you just want to take a cooler of beer and sit around doing nothing.  But the real beauty of days like this is that you also have the ability to do anything else!  After a  short drive this morning I ended up in Mammoth Cave National Park, just north of Bowling Green Kentucky.   PARK FACTS!!  It is the longest cave system in the world, with over 1000 miles discovered so far, and more being found.  It has 11 miles of path that is easily explorable, and people have been going to it for over 4000 years.  It also holds the the claim to the fact that the native people went deeper into this cave than any other in the world, 6 miles with only torches.

It is awesome,very vast.  At one point when we were far from the entrance and in the middle of a huge room, they turned the lights out and got us to remain extremely quiet.  With no sounds, no light, no smell and really other than ground nothing else to feel you are completely lost.  They told us that this caused many people to go crazy in the past because their brains would start creating stimulants, making sounds that weren't there and giving a sense of vertigo inside.  I wouldn't do well in that situation, thankfully they turned the lights back on.

After sitting in the car for another 2 hours I ended up at the Jim Beam distillery, which is beautiful....but its in a dry county and that means that on sunday they can't sell, taste or sample the alcohol.  Stupid.  So after giving up on my attempt at free booze I sped of towards Louisville, home of the slugger !  (Interesting because I saw really tiny bats in the cave, and the largest bat in the world in Louisville)  I parked and realized I was next to a Science museum, and I love them.  So I wandered around and made a bridge out of K'Nex, I tested my strength, hosted a weather report and stood inside a bubble.  With all those things at a science centre, what's not to like?!

I am sitting in Starbucks, this is the 14th Starbucks I have been to in the last 17 days, some of them have been return trips.  But to be able to get coffee, power and free internet that is reliable has been awesome.  Aside from this though I have done really well at eating locally, trying new things and avoiding the fast food ( Subway once, Wendys once and Dennys once)

Tomorrow is to Chicago, Canucks Jersey is ready. We will overcome.

Song of the Day - Dog Problems - The Format.
You could park a 737 in here, it would be a good trick to see

Self portrait fail...

Slugger 

No comments:

Post a Comment