Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 20 - A sort of homecoming

My chariot, the lovely Lola 

Wednesday April 20th 2011
London, ON, Canada.

Well as I pulled into the parking spot at the end of the day, I looked down at the odometer to see what it said.  Wow, 20 days. 15 states, 2 provinces and tomorrow within an hour of starting out I will hit the 10,000km mark.   Now don't go thinking "Darn! his trip is over, he was having so much fun and it ended just so quick"  I am pulling into my new place in Toronto on friday, unloading the car cleaning it, changing the oil and doing some laundry before I take off and head south for a week.  I have had an absolute blast, and I continue to have a blast.

So, today was amazingly uneventful.  I had a great cup of coffee in Chicago at Intelligentsia, really awesome place that puts some art into making a cup of black coffee. I'm a firm believer that if somewhere puts a lot of effort into the simple things, the complicated things must rock!  Then it was a drive across Michigan, a grey and dull drive.

As you may have read in my post about crossing into the states, border guards are scary people who just want to make you miserable.  That is until you cross back into your own country.  What you may or may not know is that I have been traveling with a light fixture in the back of my car, its a 3 foot diameter white sphere with an opening big enough to fit a head in.  The  guard looked at my car and asked about it, I said "its a lighting fixture" at which point he nods and then goes back to the computer, a few seconds later he says "So did you just get married?"  WHAT?!?!? Does the computer say I'm married? oh god what happened while I was in Vegas!  I said "UH, I'm not married, never have been"  to which he replied "then where did you get the Wedding fixture"  ohhh... no sir I said "lighting fixture"  All cleared up we had a few good laughs about getting married in Vegas.

First thing I did upon my triumphant return to Canada?  Tim Hortons of course, large black coffee, sesame seed bagel with cream cheese = home.  The next few days I will try and find some good links to keep you entertained while I do minimal traveling.

Song of the day? Girl Police - The Dudes ( A Canadian band afterall)

Cloud gate,  Chicago

Marina City, Wilco suck it! 

Hotel Sax- I can read!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment